Norman G. B. McLetchie, M.B., Cl.B, M.D., Fellow Royal College of Pathology (Ed), Fellow Royal College of Physicians and Fellow Royal College of American Pathology, Emeritus died suddenly but peacefully at his home in Gilford, New Hampshire on September 6, 2003.
Dr. McLetchie was born June 9, 1915 in the Vale of Levin on the outskirts of Glasgow, Scotland. After graduating in 1933 from Dunbarton Academy as the top scholar, he took first place in the Faculty of Medicine Scholarship competition sponsored by the University of Glasgow. He graduated from the University of Glasgow Medical School in 1938 receiving numerous awards and scholarships. After graduation with a medical degree and Bachelor of Surgery, he was a lecturer at the University of Glasgow and a pathologist for the Glasgow Royal Cancer Hospital and a medical officer in the Home Guard - Scotland. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists, a Fellow at the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh . In addition he was a Fellow of the American College of Pathologists, elevated to Emeritus status when he retired from Lakes Region General Hospital as pathologist in 1989.
While doing research in 1942 at the University of Glasgow, his research led to the discovery of dioloxin which is used to this date in laboratory investigations of diabetes. That discovery led to his receiving numerous awards and accolades that he was extremely proud of in later years.
In 1944, after the invasion of Normandy, he and his first wife, Anne, who predeceased him in 1988, were members of the Royal Army Medical Corp serving in Normandy. They were given permission by Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery to be married before Dr. McLetchie transferred to India to serve with the Royal Army Medical Corp preparation for the invasion of Japan in late 1944. After the war he was a medical lecturer at universities in Scotland and England, immigrating to Regina Saskatchewan in 1947. He thereafter served as the provincial in Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, he was a professor at Dalhouse Medical School in Nova Scotia from 1950 until 1956. In 1956, Dr. McLetchie immigrated to Laconia, New Hampshire and served on the staff of the Lakes Region General Hospital as its pathologist and other local hospitals until his retirement in 1989. Dr. McLetchie was the Medical Examiner for numerous years in the Belknap County and Carroll County areas. He was extremely proud of the fact that the laboratory of Lakes Region General Hospital was named after him shortly before his retirement.
In addition, in recognition of the 60th anniversary of his discovery of dioloxin a new medical building at the University of Glasgow recently was named in his honor.
Dr. McLetchie was proud of the awards and recognitions that he received as a pathologist. He was a person who greatly enjoyed walking and a great love of the life of birds. He was extremely fortunate to have married his second wife, Aileen, in 1989. She gave him great joy, companionship and comfort in his later years in life, residing with her until his demise at their residence in Gilford, NH. While Dr. McLetchie was greatly admired in his professional career, he was remembered by all that knew him as being a loving, generous, caring and sensitive person. He was extremely proud of his family.
Dr. McLetchie is survived by his wife, Aileen, of Gilford, NH and his three sons, Magnus McLetchie of Belmont, NH, Dr. Olaf McLetchie of North Walpole, MA and Erland C. L. McLetchie of Wolfeboro, NH as well as eight grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Private funeral services were held and burial was in the family lot in Union Cemetery, Sanbornton. NH.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Laconia Congregational Church, Dorcas Fund, 18 Veterans Square, Laconia, NH 03246 or to the charity of one&Mac226;s choice.
Wilkinson-Beane Funeral Home & Cremation Services, 164 Pleasant Street, Laconia, NH was in charge of the arrangements.